National Service Scheme
According to the Mahatma Gandhi ji, the first duty of the students should be, not to treat their period of study as one of the opportunities for indulgence in intellectual luxury, but for preparing themselves for final dedication in the service of those who provided the sinews of the nation with the national goods & services so essential to society. Advising them to form a living contact with the community in whose midst their institution is located, he suggested that instead of undertaking academic research about economic and social disability, the students should do “something positive so that the life of the villagers might be raised to a higher material and moral level”.
Objectives of the NSS:
- To identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving
- To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- To utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
- To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
- To gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- To develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters
- To practice national integration and social harmony.
The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is: ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. Therefore, it should be the aim of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day-to-day programme.
NSS Regular Activities
- Shramdaan like cleaning activities in the College campus, as well as villages near the college.
- Volunteers participated in college activities such as college admission process, college foundation day celebration, fresher’s welcome, large gathering cultural programmes, annual sports etc. in order to maintain discipline within the campus.
- Conducts awareness programmes like discussion/symposium on global warming, blood donation, bird flu, HIV/AIDS awareness, women empowerment, cultural programmes etc.
- Independence Day celebration, Republic Day celebration, International Non-violence Day celebration in the college campus
- Participation in National Youth Day celebration rally, Women’s Day celebration rally, Organize annual voluntary Blood Donation Camp
- In each academic session, one special camp for seven days is organized. The NSS volunteers under the guidance of the NSS programme officer and other faculty members participate in different extension activities in and outside the College campus.
- Purpose of the camp is to motivate student to become a good citizen. NSS activities mainly divided in to two part as, Shramdan; and awareness and cultural programs.
- Cleaning of internal roads.
- Cleaning of gutter associated to roads.
- Cleaning of village temples.
- Making rough roads for villagers.
- Cleaning of river ghats.
- Cleaning of village drinking water tank.
Social Awareness Activities:
- “Hypnotism” program for the better concentration for the students.
- “Animal health check-up” program held by the NSS to villages.
- Lecture on “women empowerment” and ‘Mahila melava’ for village women’s.
- Organized lecture on “snakes and various species of snakes” To know the snakes around us.
- Cultural programs
- The lecture organizes for the farmers on soil analysis and the modern farming techniques.
- Lecture on the “Current superstations and the real things”
- Rally on AIDS, Blood Donation, and Health awareness.